I adamantly believe that I am a fine homemaker; I just lack culinary skills! I maintain the order and cleanliness of our humble abode, I make sure my Husband and Son wears neat and well-pressed clothes and I try my very best to somehow serve them a palatable dish, cooked with love.
I just suck in the kitchen! My ever supportive and understanding Better Half always say that I have a wide selection of chefs around; then go on to name restaurants and fast food chains! By that you would know that we do eat out quite a bit.
I want to change that. I want to serve my family delicious home cooked meals as often as I can. I want my only Son to be proud that his Mum makes yummy dishes, like I take pride with what my own Mother can do in the kitchen.
My Mum used to nag us girls to learn how to cook when she or the maid does the cooking; but none of us bothered. And now my own family is suffering! HaHaHa!
Having said that, I can make simple dishes from recipe books. Back in Dubai, I remembered when B ordered a friend of mine to teach me. He begged for me to try cooking. He said that he doesn't care if it's just a fried egg, as long as I cooked it, he'll eat it. I learned a lot those days because B forbids our helper to cook when he's at home. Though I got away with it most of the time because B was always away on business trips. Then I lost the list when we moved to Latvia. But the only thing that I do well from that learning experience was making spaghetti. I take pride in that and just that!
I do not know what motivation I need to have, to start learning to cook passionately. Well I guess the fact that I want to be good in the kitchen is enough encouragement for me to try harder. While I love to watch cooking shows, I don't like the hassle of all the preparation needed, though I know it is an essential part of cooking. Those shows makes cooking look so easy!
Oh, I don't know! I sincerely envy those who can cook well. Whenever I see some blogs showing the dishes they have done, makes me wish I can do that too. I know I can, I just can't find the initiative to do it. Laziness gets the better of me, most of the time. I suppose even if I have all the best recipe books, but do not have that vehemence to cook, nothing will happen.
Well, I'll try my best. So wish me luck!

Gorgeously . . .
I just suck in the kitchen! My ever supportive and understanding Better Half always say that I have a wide selection of chefs around; then go on to name restaurants and fast food chains! By that you would know that we do eat out quite a bit.
I want to change that. I want to serve my family delicious home cooked meals as often as I can. I want my only Son to be proud that his Mum makes yummy dishes, like I take pride with what my own Mother can do in the kitchen.
My Mum used to nag us girls to learn how to cook when she or the maid does the cooking; but none of us bothered. And now my own family is suffering! HaHaHa!
Having said that, I can make simple dishes from recipe books. Back in Dubai, I remembered when B ordered a friend of mine to teach me. He begged for me to try cooking. He said that he doesn't care if it's just a fried egg, as long as I cooked it, he'll eat it. I learned a lot those days because B forbids our helper to cook when he's at home. Though I got away with it most of the time because B was always away on business trips. Then I lost the list when we moved to Latvia. But the only thing that I do well from that learning experience was making spaghetti. I take pride in that and just that!
I do not know what motivation I need to have, to start learning to cook passionately. Well I guess the fact that I want to be good in the kitchen is enough encouragement for me to try harder. While I love to watch cooking shows, I don't like the hassle of all the preparation needed, though I know it is an essential part of cooking. Those shows makes cooking look so easy!
Oh, I don't know! I sincerely envy those who can cook well. Whenever I see some blogs showing the dishes they have done, makes me wish I can do that too. I know I can, I just can't find the initiative to do it. Laziness gets the better of me, most of the time. I suppose even if I have all the best recipe books, but do not have that vehemence to cook, nothing will happen.
Well, I'll try my best. So wish me luck!

Gorgeously . . .
























16 comments:
hahah... good luck. cooking is just a matter of passion and a lot of trials and errors.
I also luck of culinary skills. I'm just good at eating. :)
desperate blogger is right. I did not really cook when I was In PI but I forced myself to learn how to cook because of my husband and now my kids.
It's not hard if you will think that the food you are preparing will be enjoyed by your love ones.. Keep Trying!
same here, i'm not really a good cook but i can follow simple recipes. i guess to be a good cook you just have to really try cooking a lot in the kitchen, trial and error style. plus i know you'll do well in the kitchen through constant practice because you have the right motivation for doing it which is to prepare excellent dishes for your family. good luck sheng!
patience, my dear... and a whole lot of practice. i wont claim to be a cooking godess but im proud to say i can manage some gourmet thing or two. mind you, with tons of trial and error. i remember before, i cannot even cook rice! (well, i still don't know how. lol!)
btw, i love your posts... hope you don't mind xlinks.
have a good day:)
I only learned how to cook when i got married. Same with you i was born and bred in a family where either my Mom or my Grandmother or a maid cooks for us. However, unlike you, i was never encouraged by my Mother to learn how to cook or manage the kitchen. Siya ang ayaw na andun ako kasi baka lang mapaso raw ako :-)
Good luck dear Sheng, I'm sure you can do it, just think that you're doing it to give your loved ones a healthier choice. :)
Btw, you may want to visit my food blog for some recipes. :)
Yummy-as-can-be
Good Luck....cooking is like anything else..it is not everyone's desire.
Ask Mrs.Recipe...or Ms. Cook....they both have great recipes right here in our bloggers world :)
Have fun with it also.
Mummy Sheng,
Gusto ko rin talagang matuto kung pano magluto ng masasarap na putahe. I even enrolled in short-term and basic courses in baking and hot cook kitchen. Nakakatulong din naman kahit pano but it is a little hard for me to experiment all the dishes I want to prepare because of work... Hay! Given the chance, gusto ko mag experiment ng iba't-ibang recipes na nasa cookbook and even on the internet...
i love cooking but don't like the clean up. lol
start with something simple, sheng, I'm sure your family will love it because you prepared it with love!
and if you don't get good at it, hey being a good mother/wife is quite an accomplishments!
Hi sheng, remember the saying "A way to a man's heart is his stomach" so try harder hehehe.
by the way, i have a tag for you, grab mo na lang if you have time..
I love cooking mag experiment ng kahit anong dishes...Good Luck 2 U Mommie :-)
if you're determined, you can do it, mommy sheng. i love watching cooking shows too and love experimenting but i can say that i still need more practice to really consider myself a good cook. someday i hope i'll be good at it. hee hee.
Keep trying. Start with the basic muna ika nga and then tuloy-tuloy na later on. But then since laziness gets in the way due to lengthy preparation, why not try the quick and easy recipes for a start. For me chicken is the best to prepare as it is quicker to cook than any other meat. And you can easily pair it with just any kinds of simple side dishes... Just a simple tip, he,he.. Good luck Mum Sheng, you can do it! ^_^
You can do it Mummy Sheng. In my case, my mother taught me how to cook simple dishes during the entire summer when I was in 5th grade. But since she's a very good mum, she prepares everything, all-the-time, and me being lazy then (talk about being an adolescent who just wants to eat!) I never care to cook always. But sometimes, I do. When I got married, I need to cook coz wala kaming katulong though we're living with my in-laws, walang maasahan to cook but me. So I practice what my mom taught me years ago. Just try the simple dishes and when you hear your hubby and Kaiden appreciate the delicious meals you're serving them, you'll become more motivated to try harder until you'll love doing it regardless if it is nakakapagod to prepare. Good luck Mummy Sheng!
We're on the same boat! My mom is the best cook around and yet I don't know jack about the kitchen. I also love watching cooking shows, and my mom would always ask me why I even watch those shows when I can't even cook.
This situation depresses me... T_T
Post a Comment