Credits

Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Saturday, April 25, 2009

ANZAC Day

It is ANZAC Day here in Australia and in New Zealand. ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. They were the brave men and women of these 2 countries who fought at Gallipoli in Turkey during the World War I.

ANZAC is commemorated with ceremonies of remembrance. If we, Filipinos have our National Heroes Day every last Monday of August; the Aussies and Kiwis have theirs every 25th of April.

Just a bit of 411 . . . There were Filipinos sent here in Australia and participated during the war. B and I heard an old lady being interviewed over the radio; and she was talking about her experience during that time. She mentioned about a camp set out across the Brisbane River that were occupied by Filipino soldiers. She did not expound on that further. Good to know though.

This is the ANZAC Square War Memorial in Brisbane.



Kaiden's school is participating on a parade today. Students are encouraged to attend wearing medals of family members who served for the country. I would love for the little one to take part in it wearing his Poppy's medals who fought during the World War II. It would be an honor watching my Father-in-Law seeing Kaiden with them but unfortunately, those medals were in the possession of B's older brother.

Kaiden's Poppy is here with us today. He came up for a visit. I asked him why he is not partaking in any of the ceremonies being held. He said that he got tired of it and would not know anybody. Most of his comrades were from New South Wales and Victoria. He also said that he doesn't want to recollect that war. He had spent a long time being there and was glad it was over.

If anyone started talking about the war with my Father-in-Law (I call him Pop), you'll never hear the end of it! I have had my share of endless war talks! Pop had a good time talking to my Dad about it, when my parents came over before. When he learned that my father is a retired military, that started it.

Anyways, I just want to share with you one of Australia's national public holiday.

Gorgeously . . .

1 comment:

WebbieLady said...

I can only imagine the discussion that the two of them discussed regarding the hot topic: war!